Quick Exit

We provide free legal advice for women in Western Australia.

What we help with

We don’t deal with all kinds of legal matters. By specialising in the areas of law that tend to affect women the most, we aim to focus on the greatest need. The most common issues we assist with are:

  • seeking protection for, or access to, your children
  • applying for violence restraining orders in situations of family violence
  • seeking compensation if you were injured due to family violence or sexual assault
  • applying for a divorce
  • understanding and protecting your rights during complex divorce proceedings

Find out more about what kinds of legal services we offer in the What we do section of this website.

Our resources section provides a range of information on legal issues so you can better understand the processes and options available to you. You may like to download one of our factsheets that provide a basic overview of the law. We’ve also included a Legal Toolkit page containing resources that will be useful if you plan on handling your own legal issues.

Please contact us on (08) 9272 8800 or 1800 625 122 (country callers) and explain your situation. If we can’t help, we’ll refer you to someone who can.

The latest news & insights

WLSWA restricted services to 26 June 2019

11 June 2019 News

Important message: unfortunately due to recent staff illness and absences we will not be taking new referrals or making any new appointments prior to 26 June 2019. Our phone lines remain open for enquiries and existing clients and we will refer matters to appropriate services where that is possible; otherwise the Legal Aid Information Line can be contacted on 1300 …

Read more

New Dates Available: WLSWA Family Law (Property) Legal Clinics

5 June 2019 News

WLSWA runs a free Family Law (Property) Legal Clinic once a month to provide eligible women with one-off legal advice about their family law financial matter. This is mainly advice about their family law property settlement matters but could also include child support, spousal maintenance, adult child maintenance or questions about court procedure or enforcement of current orders. Please note …

Read more